Changing Holes

Its been a while since I made an entry here, but I have been so busy during the last few weeks. Trying to juggle college business, with independent projects, and a very nice little vacation job as a Greenkeeper at one of Cheshire's most prestigious championship golf courses. Ok, obviously I am not in the least bit interested in golf, but this particular course is a very beautiful environment and it's quite a novel experience to have the opportunity to work in this practical and physical way; a much needed reaffirmation of my masculinity...perhaps? Plus I get to use lots of cool equipment including tractors with hydraulic shovels, and of course, the rest of the crew are a very nice bunch of guys. As a consequence of this and other (secondary) jobs my C.V. is now extraordinarily comprehensive and broad ranging demonstrating a bizarrely disparate range of skills. Which of course, is also partly due to a deeply entrenched and childlike desire to have a go at everything!!

Rob has recently lent me a copy of Jack Kerouac's "On The Road" the classic and essential literary icon of the Beat Generation. It's proving to be something of an eye opener for me in so far as it seems to clarify the essential tenets of this famous and sadly rare American, Euro style, bohemian intellectual cult obsessed with literature and modern Jazz. It would seem that the cult of the American "Road" as in the "Road Movie" is essentially part of the legacy of the 1950s Beat cult and "On The Road" was something of a prototype for the whole genre as we understand it today. Beat also seems to embody a hint of kinship with the French New Wave of the 1950/60s which famously transposed the itinerant bohemian meanderings of Kerouac's open road fantasies to the provincial France of Jean Luc Goddard's unconventional lovers and revolutionaries. All very cool and interesting stuff, and I wish I could write like Kerouac in syncopated sentences like tripy Jazz riffs..I think I may have just done that there....Rob incidentally is one of the coolest guys I think I have ever known, a complex "every man" Aquarian who never stops springing surprises and seems to be glamorously associated with these past modes of cool.

Popular Posts