Strange Mood Days




8:45pm Current weather: Esoteric, mixed bag, one-minute rain next dry; though pleasantly mild with very earthy overtones. Very mixed cloud formation with low altitude luminous diffusion effect at sunset. Moody as hell..!!

Generally I am having one of my strange mood days with all of the typically disjointed thoughts that would presage schizophrenia in anyone not already certified as "eccentric" but it is my old friend and I know how to handle this. There is something rather pleasing about these transient bursts of enhanced mental connectivity sans the hyper activity-melancholia cycles driving me round in circles like a half arsed manic-depressive.

I seem to be developing something of a fascination with the revolutionary philosophy of Situationism, yes I know..I should know something about this as it is supposed to be intrinsic to the cultural ideology of the DADA movement that has fascinated me since college days. Even one of my favourite bands Stereolab play about with situationist sentiments as does Ian Brown and the doctrine was central to the cultural shenanigans of Factory in the early days at least..But alas, I know very little. In fact, I didn't even know that the term Hacienda was taken from a seminal manifesto on this quintessentially European and specifically Spanish/French way of defiance. But I suspect that the impressively erudite but also suspiciously astute Mr A Wilson was just screwing about with too many young heads under the auspices of fashionablilty and laughing (or crying) all the way to the bank. I like to think about how philosophical ideas concerned with social reorganisation(s) could be applied to cultural thought and ideas and I think the primary concept of an individual empowerment within a collective force that characterised the DADA approach is part of the situationist thing. There is some half-baked idea in my head that the situationists urged individuals to carry out very minor acts of some kind which when taken as a whole would bring about a change or "situation" almost as a substitution or something. But it was the nature of the act(s) that warranted identification with the cause, if everyone demanded the impossible what would happen? Was the Hacienda cult of collective jouissance some kind of situationist manifestation? Who knows, but I am going to make damn sure I find out…I'm starting to become worryingly bourgeois and it is now beginning to depress me..I feel as if I am on the sad train in Stardust Memories. Where did all the bright young Thatcher bashing things of my 20s go---they are probably all working in banks now?

The local hills are calling yet again and if the weather stays fine(ish) tomorrow I think I will cycle up to Whaley Bride and get my fix on the beautifully impressive and often elegant landscape of the Peak District National Park. You really have to do this by mountain bike, the sense of achievement and being a part of it all is a pure joy experience. I know I keep saying this but the geographical diversity of the eastern edge of Cheshire is unique. I keep thinking to myself that one day I will buy a small stone cottage perched up over Rainow or Sutton with a commanding view of everything, looking down onto the lights of Macclesfield, Bollington, and Stockport at night and watching the weather rolling in from miles away. Better than any crap on TV..now that is poetic!

Popular Posts