Your Too Fine

Someone recently gave me a hard copy of this diary page (probably not the best of the three) and It rather changed my whole perspective on the process. When someone takes the time to print off this stuff and then present it as hard copy in the hard light of day; a certain contextual estrangement effect seems to take place. This so called "effect" gives a clear insight into how this tedious crap appears to others, in other words, boring, irrelevant, naively didactic, and sometimes in dreadful 5th form prose. I can't quite understand my own motives for doing this. But I think, in my case, it has a lot to do with an egocentric "megalomania complex" or probably just plain vanity (its certainly not loneliness Trudi). A belief that I have something relevant to say and a need for the rest of the world to stand up and take notice. Well in some ways I think I do, but I only seem to reiterate the bleedin obvious vis-a-vis the problems of capitalism and life in general. From now on I have decided to try to proffer a more "humane" form of discourse a proper diary, in perceptive prose. Don't however, expect the same frequency of entries because weather condition tend to have rather limited mileage ...you massive audience of mine! Actually there are about four people that I know visit regularly and most of them are related to me.......how sad!!.

My temporary job at the golf club is becoming steadily more interesting as my responsibilities increase. We are currently prepping up for a large televised pro tournament and so consequently, it is important that the course looks immaculate and generally well groomed. One of my new responsibilities is the operation of the fairway grass blower. After mowing, the cut grass has to be blown off the fairway. This has the effect of improving its appearance, health, and playability. The blower is a sort of huge fan with a channelled output driven from the PTO (power take off) drive of a very large 650HP Ford tractor. 5.5' driving wheels, twin serial gearbox, you know the thing ladies. Consequently, I am becoming quite expert in the handling and rigging of a broad range of medium to heavyweight agri machinery; and I have to admit that roaring down the fairways in control of this bastard is quite fun. I know this may sound a bit like a self-aggrandisement trip, but I never fail to supprise myself with the shear breadth of my capabilities and level of adaptability. I seem to effortlessly shift from academe, and the more feminised work space/culture of the office, to the macho world of physical challenge and practical ingenuity, and back again, and not appear out of place in either. I seem to be able to assimilate the disparate work modes and cultures very effectively and I don't know of many other people that have quite the same quality of breadth. Most people I have encountered in media (other than my fellow technicians) would not have a hope in hell of appearing competent in any situation involving physical prowess and practical ability. Conversely, most people I have met in the latter category would be hopelessly inept at dealing with the intricacies of the social and discursive politics of the typical office or media production environment.

  Your too fine
Mark sent me a recording of R.E.M's "Reveal" today, and I really like the semi psychedelic feel of some of the tracks. R.E.M's musical retro styling seems to become consistently more impressive with each new album. I can detect quite a lot of interesting prog rock references circa 69/70 in this one. I have also noticed a certain resurgence of interest in vintage prog rock amongst some members of the younger generation. There was even a group of them in my local the other night extolling the musical virtues of Genesis? Well ok, I think Genesis were quite an interesting band in the early 70s when fronted by Peter Gabriel, I used to have an album (circa 1970) called either "The Knife", or the "The Dagger", which I seem to remember had a strange elegiac, haunting quality. Loads of shimmering hammond organ sounds and flutes complimenting Gabriel's weird vocal vibrato (something that became synonymous with obscure 70s rock). This was good stuff (most prog rock was embarrassingly pretentious crap with the possible exception of some of the things Family, Floyd, & Yes did). I suppose a youthful revival of this strange genre was inevitable and some would also argue that the musical and lyrical virtuosity of the likes of Radio Head, and Cold Play, constitutes the new Prog Rock.

Popular Posts