Head Space Heaven

Again I have to write about a mood of intense musical inspiration, I can't help it!. Its just that Mike Chadwick's "Cutting Edge" show of Jazz FM last night was outstandingly good, it was one of those rare nights of back to back contemporary innovation and completely new tunes, a sort of show case if you like. There was a very heavy emphasis on new stuff owt of Scandinavia. Which included some tracks from the upcoming Future Jazz of Norway compilation. OK don't snigger...I know Scandinavia has never really had much of a reputation in contemporary forms of music. But believe me; some of the contemporary Jazz stuff coming from this part of the world is mind blowingly innovative and painfully cool, even the distinctive modality of the form is skewed in a completely new way that evokes expansive and refreshingly unusual moods. I think this music has a quality that resonates with the spaced-out essence of the Scandinavian environment, life style, and landscape, which tends to be naturally amenable to all forms of serious modernism(s). It is a quality that is at odds with the more domestic and claustrophobic idiomatics of Rock, Folk, or Pop music. God! I want a job with JFM. I think my new year resolution must be to go back to my prime skills base and areas of real interest because I am beginning to feel almost alienated from my true self through to much necessity driven work in non relevant fields.

Popular Posts